May 18, 2014

Birthday, Part II.

At SUR, wearing on the patience of some impromptu but kind photographers.

Well, I can barely remember this trip at this point but I figure you can't leave a part one hanging without a part two!  A few weeks ago I headed to LA with my best girlfriends to celebrate my birthday.  We made it a super quick trip and flew up for just one night.  The time with my girlfriends was the best but I can't say that I fell in love with LA.  

We stayed in West Hollywood at just about the BEST Best Western I've ever seen - seriously, check out the Best Western Plus Sunset Plaza if you're in LA.  It's centrally located, down the street from the Andaz and up the street from The Chateau Marmont and The Standard, but probably half the price per night.  It also has the most darling pool.  
When we arrived we did some window shopping, some bottomless mims (evidence below) and then we rested up for a long night.  We started with cocktails at SUR.  I'm not ashamed to say I was dying to catch my favorite Real Housewife, but no luck.  Next we went to Laurel Hardware for dinner.  The food was delish and I had my first ever Moscow Mule - as an avid soda water drinker how did I ever go so long without having one?!  I think I thought it was like a White Russian.  


Anyway, the night took a turn after dinner.  We asked around about where the hot spots were and we were terribly misadvised to go to Supper Club.  Now there's a Supper Club in SF, but it's nothing like it.  The club was fine inside but it wasn't exactly my scene so we decided to try something else.  Outside, it was like an apocalypse with all these strange characters grabbing at us.  Now, I grew up in San Francisco and I've lived in some shady areas since (in fact, I currently live in a city that was dubbed the murder capital of the country - 20 years ago - it's lovely now!).  Let's just say it definitely wasn't our crowd!

Plenty of time for cab selfies.
Next we tried the Standard Downtown LA.  I'd been to The Standard in Manhattan so I had an idea of what to expect. After 30 minutes in a cab, it was less than we'd hoped for.  The view was nice, though.  We decided to call it a night and when we got back two of my girlfriends surprised me with Cool Ranch Doritos from the vending machine.  And the world was right again.  

No comments:

Post a Comment